Tax ID for Trust

How to Get a Tax ID for a Trust

Irrevocable Trust Tax ID Number

We wanted to make this topic simple and created a list of steps to complete the trust tax id numbers.  These steps will allow you to understand the fundamentals of being a Trustee and how to manage tax implications.  First requirement. Get a TIN. You may have heard of applying for an EIN. The words are used interchangeably. 

Probate Topics, Probate Litigation 



How to Apply for a TIN for a Trust

When you have the TIN, you will be able to do the following:

  1. Apply for a Federal Tax ID number (EIN) / TIN. You can obtain an EIN number for a Trust Online.  It typically takes around 10 minutes to complete if you have all the information handy. Once validated, you will receive the nine-digit unique IRS tax identifier.
  1. You can report all income earned by the Trust under the TIN / EIN.
  2. Forms like SS-4 is used to gather information about the Trust including the following:
  1. Name of the Trust
  2. Trustee’s name
  3. Mailing address for the Trust.
  4. IRS will want to know the grantor’s Social Security Number (SSN)
  5. IRS will want to know the type of trust and the date the Trust was funded.
  • You can file an IRS 1041 tax return if the trust earned more than $600 in income during the calendar year. IRS form 1041 is also known as Fiduciary Return.
  • Can open a bank account under the trust name.

Trust Tax ID Number


Does an Irrevocable Trust Need a Tax ID Number?

When someone dies, a revocable trust changes automatically to an irrevocable trust.  So prior to death of the grantor/trustor, the Social Security Number (SSN) of the Trustor can be used and will suffice for managing taxes.  When the trustor dies, however, the revocable trust automatically changes to an irrevocable trust, and thus it is required to file for a Federal Tax Identification number (TIN | EIN). 

Do you have to pay taxes on a trust fund from a  deceased family member

Yes, you will definitely need to seek a TIN number to assist you on the deceased family member Trust.  Now, to determine if there are taxes owed, will depend on completing all forms like to IRS 1041 tax return form.

1st Takeaway: If you are the Trustee, you have a fiduciary duty to manage the estate. Do not distribute the trust’s funds prior to setting up the TIN.  Why? If you distribute funds before you have determined all the taxes and expenses that need paying off, you may be personally responsible to pay back the differences to the party to which is owed.

Why Consider hiring Hess-Verdon trust litigation attorneys

We work efficiently to help individuals, families, fiduciaries, organization with the following:

  • Trustees
  • Beneficiaries
  • Individuals and families
  • Banks
  • Trust Companies
  • Charitable entities
  • Family Offices
  • Corporate Fiduciaries
  • Corporate Trustees
  • Business Owners

Here at Hess-Verdon, we counsel clients on various aspects of estate disputes. Such as investigating potential claims, evaluating the merits of bringing a claim, filing or defending a claim, and when necessary litigating a claim through trial or settlement.

With our expert team of trust litigators, in many instances, we can settle such proceedings without going to trial after taking into account the merits of the positions advanced by the respective parties and the tax rules applicable.  

Rest assured, the Hess-Verdon team is here to help you. Unlike some other law firms, we are a full-service firm. Handling thousands of probate and trust litigation cases helps us know exactly steps are crucial for your case.

Visit us in Fashion Island in Newport Beach. If you believe you need a team of attorneys, paralegals, and a helpful, caring staff, then read on.

Trustee & Co-Trustee Not Getting Along


Hess-Verdon is ready to help you today.

Contesting a Trust in California

California Business Litigation

Get Answers and Guidance

Hess-Verdon & Associates

stars 5 How to Get a Trust Tax ID Number for an Irrevocable Trust!

“Absolutely top notch firm for handling all your estate planning matters.”

Dean Williams

Client Since 1995

stars 5 How to Get a Trust Tax ID Number for an Irrevocable Trust!

“Definitely a firm that will “fight to the finish.”

Frances Gruben

Client Since 2010

stars 5 How to Get a Trust Tax ID Number for an Irrevocable Trust!

“I have been working with this firm since 1994; you can’t beat a firm like this, that is so ethical and competent.”

Dixie Fisher

Client Since 1994

Hess-Verdon & Associates PLC

Call 1-888-318-430 or Contact Us Below

If you are contacting us during normal business hours, expect to hear back from us on the same day.  If you are contacting us after normal business hours, we will reach out to you the next business day.