Attorney Mission Viejo
Are you searching for a Trust Administration Attorney in Mission Viejo, California? Our firm, Hess-Verdon & Associates, works with executors, trustees, personal representatives, and other fiduciaries in all aspects of estate administration.
We are committed to the delivery of probate and trust administration services with a sensitivity to the unique concerns of our clients.
The loss of a loved one is a traumatic event. During this time, we understand that making financial and legal decisions while grieving is complicated and stressful. We make the process of probate and trust administration as comfortable and pain-free as possible.
Practice Area: Trust Administration
California Counties: Orange County, Los Angeles
Serving California Residents: Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Costa Mesa, Mission Viejo, Fountain Valley, San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, Laguna Niguel, Yorba Linda, San Clemente, Laguna Hills, Coto De Caza, Tustin, Seal Beach, Westminster, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Stanton, Rancho Santa Margarita, Rancho Mission Viejo, Placentia, Orange, Villa Park and surrounding cities.
Trust Administration Law Firm
HESS-VERDON – #1 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TRUST & ESTATE LAW FIRM
(DEEP BENCH COURT TIME)
Trust Administration Services Needed by Trustees and Beneficiaries
Are you the Trust trustee? If so, there are many steps to ensure you stay within your fiduciary duties. We have made this page to assist you throughout the process and feel free to call us and speak with one of our expert trust administration lawyers.
With that said, let’s get started.
As the Trust trustee, you will have “fiduciary responsibility” or what is called your “ethical obligation” to the beneficiaries of the will or trust, meaning you are to follow the directives of trust document’s terms for the benefit of both “settlor” and “beneficiaries.”
Now once a person dies, the trust becomes irrevocable.” Your objective as a Trustee is to stay out of “trust litigation.” It is our recommendation to find an attorney to assist you in protecting an effective trust administration process.
Why should I use an estate planning attorney to assist me in trust administration?
There are many moving parts to the trust administration process. From speaking to CPAs, IRS, tax advisors, investment advisors, etc., is quite a task, and there are deadlines and expectations from the beneficiaries. If you exceed your trustee powers, you may be held liable for loss or damages to the trust estate.
How much time does it take to complete the trust administration process?
Unlike probate, which can take nine months to 2+ years, organized trusts administration process falls between two to six months typically. Now, if there is a sub-trust to manage monetary gifts to minor children, etc.. It may continue.
Why work with Hess-Verdon & Associates?
Here at Hess-Verdon & Associates, we will give:
- Advice regarding the terms of the Trust or a Will
- Information regarding the trustee’s duties to inform the beneficiaries
- Handling disputes among beneficiaries or between heirs and the executor or TrusteeTrustee to avoid Trust Litigation or Probate Litigation
- Preparation of notices and forms required by law to be sent by the TrusteeTrustee to all beneficiaries or heirs at law
- Advice about the requirements related to the investments allowed in a Trust
- Understanding the rules regarding selling assets, paying taxes and when you can make distributions to some or all of the beneficiaries
- Guide you through the Income-tax planning for the estate
- Preparation and filing of all necessary Probate Court filings
- Representation of clients in all Probate and Civil Court proceedings
- Postmortem planning, including effective use of tax elections and disclaimers
- Postmortem planning for non-U.S. citizen spouses
- Review of all federal and estate tax returns
- Summary of all federal and state fiduciary income tax returns
We will work with your successor to complete the process as quickly as possible while minimizing family disharmony.
Mission Viejo Estate Attorneys Near Me
Hess Verdon is in Mission Viejo. We have 30 years’ experience in estate planning law. We have helped many clients protect their estate, grow their estate, and pass it down to their loved ones through various legal instruments.
Our estate lawyers can help you administer or contest a trust or will. We also have expertise in business law and elder abuse law. Expect personalized services that put you in control. Request a no-obligation case assessment
Where are you in the administration process?
Have you just received notice of the death of the settlor/trustor? If so, don’t feel pressured. There is an expected time frame for getting the death certificate, etc., but our recommendation is to have legal counsel straight away. Here is just a partial checklist to consider to execute a trust:
- Notice to all beneficiaries and the settlors’ heirs.
- Get a death certificate. Collect 10-12 copies of the death certificate.
- Contact Social Security Administration. (you might need to return the last Social Security payment?)
- Website: https://www.ssa.gov/
- Phone number: You can call toll-free at 1-800-772-1213
- Office locations: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp
Is there real property? If so, bestow title in the successor trustee. Handling property’s in the wishes of the settlor is mandatory. (Note: May have to determine the fair market value of each asset)
Record an affidavit with a certified copy of the death certificate against each property held in the living trust.
Ascertain all other trust assets, like bank accounts, 401K, investment accounts, and transfer the title of those assets in the name as the successor trustee.
- May need to keep the accounts open for 3-6 months to view all incoming and outgoing.
Acquire the trust’s federal tax identification number.
Determine the settlor’s debts and satisfy their liabilities. Tax implications can arise if there are tax issues, your estate planning attorney, and CPA’s work together to reduce complications. File tax returns!
- May need to consider:
- Federal estate tax return (706)
- Income tax return (1041)
- Fiduciary tax return
Keep a detailed accounting of all transactions like deposits and distributions from the trust, etc.
Work with your Mission Viejo trust administration attorney on the distribution of the trust assets.
NEED A SECOND OPINION?
Hess-Verdon is ready to help you today.
- What is Trust Administration and options
- Find a Trust Administration Attorney
- How long does a Trustee have to distribute assets?
- Setting a Trust after death
Are you looking for a trust administration in the Mission Viejo area? When it comes to the practice of Trust and estates, it can be difficult finding an attorney that’s experienced in handling your specific issues.
With over 30+ years of law, 3000+ clients throughout our tenure,
you can receive in-depth legal counsel today.
Trust administration manages the assets in a trust according to the Trust’s terms to benefit the heirs and beneficiaries following the grantor’s death. Trust administration is a multi-step process that involves mountainous paperwork and dealings with courts. Working with a trust attorney can be instrumental in streamlining the whole process.
Request a Case Review Today Call us at 949-706-7300Prudent Trustee Investing from Trustee There is more to trusts than just storing assets. Trust money does not need to sit idle. It can be invested unless expressly forbidden in the trust documents. Trust...
Request a Case Review Today Call us at 949-706-7300 Request a Case Review Today Call us at 949-706-7300 The End Of A Trust Trust instruments are complicated legal documents that are put in place to safeguard property until that property is distributed to...
Request a Case Review Today Call us at 949-706-7300Breach of Trustee Dutys A fiduciary is an entity in a position of trust and duty to another person. It could be an attorney, a trustee, or a board of directors. They have a fiduciary duty, in this case, to act...
Request a Case Review Today Call us at 949-706-7300 Request a Case Review Today Call us at 949-706-7300 I can't find Original Trust. I May have lost it. The original trust document details everything needed to administer a trust and its eventual termination...