HESS-VERDON IS THE LEADING ORANGE COUNTY PROBATE LAW FIRM
During these hard times, we know it’s vitally important to save time, money, peace of mind, and receive the highest of top quality counsel!
Hess-Verdon is one of the highest top-quality counsel that cares and fights for your legal needs.
Probate Attorney Orange County
HESS-VERDON – #1 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TRUST & ESTATE LAW FIRM
(DEEP BENCH COURT TIME)
What is Probate and How Can You Avoid It?
We understand the probate legal and administrative headaches you might face during such a difficult time. We also know it’s often difficult to find attorneys experienced in Trust and estates with proven litigation skills. So let’s go over a few crucial facts and best practices to ensure you get experienced legal counsel and avoid legal complications.
Learn more about what does a probate lawyer do
First of all, Probate is a court-supervised procedure that can take several months to several years, depending on multiple complex factors.
For an uncontested probate proceeding, it can be between 10 months to 18 months. For contested, i.e., probate litigation, it can take years.
Now, a Probate attorney can guide you through the judicial process. The decedent’s estate is valued, beneficiaries are determined, and executor in charge of the estate is declared.
Our probate litigation attorneys are well versed in helping mitigate loss, ensuring a cost-effective and smooth process.
See: California Probate Fees (chart)
Need immediate assistance, feel free to call us now at 888-318-4430.
In California, below are the top 4 reasons the court will oversee estate cases:
A Valid Will: The decedent’s valid Will, managed by the probate judge and the court of decedent’s jurisdiction.
- The dependent passed intestate (without a Will)
- A challenged Trust: The reviewing of the tested Trust as to the validity, capacity, fraud, or undue influence.
- A Trust is unfunded, and property remains outside of the Trust’s intended protection from the probate process.
Moreover, the probate court will look to certify the executor designated in the decedent’s estate plan or may appoint another 3rd party administrator under certain circumstances.
Need a Second Opinion?
There are times when you need a second opinion from another attorney. We can confidentially evaluate what the problems and solutions are for your case. Our probate attorney will tell you the truth about what the source is of your delays, questions, or increased expense.
If you are currently in litigation, consider the following:
- Why is this taking so long?
- Is it your lawyer?
- Do you wish your attorney was more like your opposing counsel?
- Why is this costing so much?
- When will this be over?
- When should you settle and for how much?
If you have questions that your attorney is not answering, or the litigation has taken unexpected twists and turns, you should seek a second opinion.
What is the cost of a second opinion?
Contact us today for an initial consultation.
To discuss your situation, to meet with us, or to get your questions answered, please call our office to schedule an appointment.
Servicing Southern California Probate Clients
PROBATE ATTORNEY NEAR ME
Many people believe to search for “Probate attorney near me” is ok but that may be a downfall. You see, there are dozens of estate planning attorneys in Orange County, and they do quite well in their endeavors. But probate is an entirely different situation, especially when a beneficiary may be contesting the will.
What Are Assets Not Part of Probate?
Now the good news is that not all the assets that are left behind need to go through Probate. In some cases, the heirs will receive assets without the probate process.
So what assets are subject to Probate?
Assets owned solely in the name of the deceased person are subject to Probate. The courts will review that the Will is valid and will administer the estate in the wishes of the passed loved one.
So what assets typically don’t have to go through Probate?
Here is a short list:
- Retirement accounts – IRA’s or 401K’s, for example, naming the beneficiary.
- Life Insurance proceeds.
- A living trust manages the property.
- POD: in a bank account that funds in Payable-on-death.
- Property held in joint tenancy with rights of survivorship
- Household goods, etc..
With that said, there are more, but it’s best to speak to an Orange County probate attorney who can guide you through this complex probate litigation process.
Probate Lawyer – Orange County – Hess Verdon
As a probate law firm, Hess-Verdon & Associates has helped thousands throughout California through the probate process.
Now, every estate and Will is different. What varies is the instructions left in the Will and the creditors, assets, and beneficiaries the estate has. We recommend setting up a meeting with one of our probate lawyers for a consultation.
Examples of trust and probate litigation cases:
- Will contests
- Defending Trustees
- Actions to remove trustees who fail to fulfill their obligations or breach their fiduciary duties to the beneficiaries
- Disputes over Distribution of Inheritance
- Trustee Accountings
- Spousal property characterization proceedings
- Elder financial abuse claims
What happens if there is no Will?
Well, you can’t grant Probate if there is no Will, but you can still administer the estate and distribute the inheritance through a slightly different process. The process is called rules of intestacy succession. Our special probate lawyer litigators are well versed and can sometimes work in contingency depending on the circumstance.
Orange County Probate Court and Surrounding Counties
We made it simple for you to maintain some essential links and numbers for future reference. Feel free to bookmark this page as we continually keep it up-to-date on the latest tax laws on estate plans.
Below are some helpful links to the Probate Courts
Orange County Probate Court and Surrounding Counties
We have made it simple for you to maintain some important links and numbers for future reference. Feel free to bookmark this page as we continually keep it up-to-date on the latest tax laws pertaining to estate plans. Below are some helpful links to the Probate Courts
- Superior Court of California – County of Orange: https://www.occourts.org/self-help/probate/
- Address:700 W Civic Center Dr, Santa Ana, CA 92701
- Phone number: (657) 622-5800
- Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, Metropolitan Courthouse: https://www.lacourt.org/division/probate/probate.aspx
- Address: 1945 S Hill St, Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Phone number: (213) 830-0198
- San Diego Probate Court: https://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/page?_pageid=55,1529928&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
- Address: 1100 Union St, San Diego, CA 92101
- Phone: (619) 844-2400
- Riverside Probate Court: https://www.riverside.courts.ca.gov/
Why Consider hiring Hess-Verdon Probate litigation attorneys
We work efficiently to help individuals, families, fiduciaries, organization with the following:
- Individuals and families
- Trust Companies
- Charitable entities
- Family Offices
- Corporate Fiduciaries
- Corporate Trustees
- Business Owners
Here at Hess-Verdon, we counsel clients on various aspects of estate disputes. Such as investigating potential claims, evaluating the merits of bringing a claim, filing or defending a claim, and when necessary litigating a claim through trial or settlement.
With our expert team of trust litigators, in many instances, we can settle such proceedings without going to trial after taking into account the merits of the positions advanced by the respective parties and the tax rules applicable.
Rest assured, the Hess-Verdon team is here to help you. Unlike some other orange county probate attorneys, we are a full-service firm. Handling thousands of probate and trust litigation cases helps us know exactly steps are crucial for your case.
Visit us in Fashion Island in Newport Beach. If you believe you need a team of attorneys, paralegals, and a helpful, caring staff, then contact us today at 949-706-7300.
Probate Attorney Questions
- Dying without a Will in California
- Question to ask a probate attorney
- California probate fees
- What type of assets are subject to probate
Are you looking for a probate lawyer in the Orange County area? When it comes to the practice of Trust and estates, it can be difficult finding an attorney that’s experienced in
handling your specific issues.
- Probate Litigation
- What happens if you don't probate a Will
- What an Executor of an estate cannot do
- Does the Executor have the final say?
Are you looking for a probate attorney in the Newport Beach area? When it comes to the practice of trust and estates, it can be difficult finding an attorney that’s experienced in handling your specific issues.
With over 30+ years of law, 3000+ clients throughout our tenure,
you can receive in-depth legal counsel today.
Estate Disputes and How to Resolve Conflicts Call us at 949-706-7300Estate Dispute Attorney: Hess-Verdon & Associates How to Resolve Conflicts The death of a loved one plunges the family into pain and sometimes endless estate disputes. Call Hess-Verdon...
NEED A SECOND OPINION?
Hess-Verdon is ready to help you today.
California Trust & Probate Litigation Lawyers
Are you looking for a trust litigation lawyer in your area? When it comes to the practice of Trust and estates, it can be difficult finding an attorney that’s experienced in handling your specific issues.
- Can a Trustee sue on behalf of the trust
- Can a Trustee be held personally liable
- Can a Trustee remove a Beneficiary from a trust
- Settling a Trust After Death
- Being a Trustee of a Trust